06 December 2011

Coriander Avo Crackers

I mentioned in my Raw Chili post, how nicely Coriander Avo Crackers paired with the, uh... Raw Chili.1 After creating some cracker-hype, I figured I'd actually post the recipe, and let others make their own assessments.
Both Golden and Dark flax seeds were used in the making of these crackers
These crackers are light, crisp and ridiculously easy make. Better yet, they're gluten AND grain free and loaded with healthy Omega3s! I make these lovelies in my dehydrator, but I understand they can be made in an oven as well (NB: If using an oven, they won't be a raw food).
You may already be familiar with flax crackers2. Maybe you even already make your own? If you're shaking your head to either or both of the aforementioned, this post is for you.3

What I find pretty neat is that you can make a flax cracker from nothing more than water and flax seeds.4 The beauty of such a simple base is that you are free to experiment with any flavor ideas or ingredients that strike your fancy.  Be creative as you like!
There's only one "rule": Regardless of what you add, make sure the cracker mixture is the proper consistency. You should be able to easily spread it evenly over your dehydrator sheet/teflex/parchment. If it's too thick, it will be really difficult to spread out.5 If it's too watery, your crackers will just flake apart6.

Eclectic or classic - I've made countless variations, that were far more delicious than anything I've found in a store. I think my Rosemary Garlic version is my favorite.
Please, don't take that to mean that the Coriander Avo are any less yummy! They're equally as yummy, just in a different way.7

Coriander Avo Crackers
(makes approx. 8 (4"x2") crackers)
  • 1/3 cup Whole Flax Seeds (Golden, Dark or a combination of both!)
  • 1/2 Medium Ripe Avocado
  • 1 Tbsp Filtered Water
  • 2 tsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
  • 3/4 tsp Ground (or crushed) Coriander Seeds
  • 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
  • Sea Salt to taste
Dehydrator8 110F

In a small mixing bowl, mash avocado with a fork until it reaches a smooth consistency. You can also use a food processor, if desired; however, it's not as effective (and more of a hassle) when making a small batch.

To the mashed avocado, mix in nutritional yeast, corander, cumin, and salt. Now add your flax seeds and 1/2 Tbsp of water; stir until evenly distributed. Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes. The seeds will begin to form a gel and thicken the mixture. Average oatmeal is best way to describe the desired consistency. Check your mixture after 2-3 minutes, and add the remaining 1/2 Tbsp water, if necessary.

Once the mixture is ready, spread evenly onto a dehydrator sheet (or parchment, if you're using an oven) to about 1/8" thickness. I find just using the back of a standard spoon works quite nicely, and I like the resulting slight "imperfections". Another very effective method is to place a piece of parchment over the mixture and use a rolling pin to even it out. Check for any thin spots or holes as you go.

Allow your crackers to dehydrate completely (at least 12 hours or overnight). Break (or try to cut) them into desired-size pieces and enjoy!

Create a Fabulous Day!


1. Obviously, right?
2. And LOVE them.
3. Well, this post is for everyone really. We're all-inclusive.
4. The result, however, may be a bit lack-luster.
5. I will also happily add rosemary to as many dishes as possible, unless stopped. 
6. As in: Hugely Enormous Pain in the Rear. Don't say I didn't warn you.
7. It will be ridiculously easy to spread your flax mixture, and also your victory will be short-lived.
8. I've never made these in an oven, so I'm not currently qualified to provide specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment